Digital innovation is now at the heart of global shipping and trade, where an historic lack of visibility within the supply chain has led to a disjointed industry with legacy costs and inefficiencies from a pre-digital era.
It is now widely recognised that data sharing and information exchange will improve business continuity, reduce risk and enhance performance. A more transparent industry will not only create inherent accountability and trust among actors but will also enable a faster response to regulatory requirements and an improved route towards the collective shipping and transport industry goal of sustainability.
This recognition and desire for greater transparency is leading to an uptake in ever smarter solutions – including initiatives to streamline and digitalise the exchange of information along the supply chain, as well as IoT innovations in tracking and tracing. All these developments require access to increasingly sophisticated digital networks which come with new sets of challenges, including legislative, policy and security issues.
In order to create a smarter maritime and logistics ecosystem, standardisation and inter-operability of systems and transport modes will be crucial. This will require the participation, and therefore the collaboration, of a whole raft of industry stakeholders – both government and private sector.
Dubai has shown itself to be pivotal to leading the way in these required platforms and alliances – with organisations such as DP World partnering with others to create new frameworks – such as by joining Tradelens, acquiring SeaRates.com and creating the Digital Freight Alliance.
The Digital Silk Road projects are another example of Dubai’s ambitious technology plan to revolutionise global trade. Many others in the region have launched notable initiatives in these areas too.
SMN Dubai 2021 will investigate how digitalisation and innovation will help future proof the transport chain to ever more complex challenges, especially those that have arisen since Covid-19.
With an expert line up ready to share their knowledge and experience:
- H. E. Khamis Juma Buamim, Chairman, Dubai Council for Marine & Maritime Industries (DCMMIemirates)
- Ibrahim Al Najjar, Director of Information Technology, DP World, UAE Region
- Andrés de León, Chief Executive Officer, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies
- Ali Shehab, Global Director of Special Projects and Services, DNV – Maritime
- Chakib Abi-Saab, Chief Technology Officer, Bahri
- Vivek Seth, Vice President, Marine Services, ADNOC Logistics & Services
- Christopher Kirton, Managing Director, International Tanker Management – part of V.Group
- Emad Alhumam, Senior Vice President of Corporate Services, IMI (International Maritime Industries)
- Rajesh Gopinathan, Director, Business Transformation, Seaspan Corporation
- Kris Vedat, Head of Information Technology, P&O Maritime Logistics
- Chris Peters, Chief Executive Officer – Maritime Logistics, Tristar
- Sidney Nederlof, Director of Information Communication Technology, Red Sea Gateway Terminal
- Vinay Sharma, Director Information Technology, Gulftainer
- Giampiero Soncini, CEO, IB-Marine
- Jon Harrison, Vice President, Intellian Technologies
- Neville Smith, Director, Mariner Communications
- Nick Chubb, Founder & Managing Director, Thetius
- Petra Ahari, Project Officer, IMO (International Maritime Organization)
- Tom Anneberg, Director Business Development, PortXchange
- Rob O’Dwyer, Chief Network Officer, Smart Maritime Network
Conference Agenda // NOVEMBER 9, 2021
- Registration and Refreshments 8:15 AM
- Introduction & Welcome from Smart Maritime Network 9:00 AM
Cathy Hodge, Chief Operating Officer, Smart Maritime Network
- Opening Notes from Conference Chair 9:05 AM
Welcome to the day's events
Ali Shehab, Global Director of Special Projects and Services, DNV - Maritime
- Eric Griffin, Vice President, Offshore Energy & Fishing, Inmarsat Maritime 10:20 AM
- Tea/Coffee Break & Networking with SMN Partners 10:45 AM
- Andrés de León, Chief Executive Officer, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies 11:15 AM
The Future of Transportation
Taking freight transportation to the next level
A new concept for a hyperloop-based containerized freight transport
- Panel Discussion: Return on Investment in Technology Projects 11:40 AM
- Calculating the value of new vs legacy systems
- Multiplying returns through integration of different technologies
- Buy now or wait - is it possible to future-proof your investments?
Moderated by: Nick Chubb, Founder & Managing Director, Thetius
Chris Peters, Chief Executive Officer – Maritime Logistics, Tristar
Sidney Nederlof, Director of Information Communication Technology, Red Sea Gateway Terminal
Vinay Sharma, Director Information Technology, Gulftainer
Vivek Seth, Vice President, Marine Services, ADNOC Logistics & Services
Jon Harrison, Vice President, Intellian Technologies
Tom Anneberg, Director Business Development, PortXchange
- Roundtable Discussion Sessions 2:00 PM
Hosted by: Neville Smith, Director, Mariner Communications
Each table will focus on a unique topic centred around the Smart Maritime Network goal of establishing better collaboration and standardisation in maritime technology. The roundtable discussions will take place simultaneously with each table host then asked to summarise their discussions for the whole room, to ensure that all participants get the most from their attendance. There will be a total of 10 table discussions to choose from. Delegates are sent the list in advance and invited to choose the table they would most like to join. The tables themselves will last for 30 minutes with 30 minutes for summaries.
- SESSION 2: Digital Cooperation Driving Efficiency & Sustainability
- Petra Ahari, Project Officer, IMO (International Maritime Organization) 3:30 PM
Supporting Maritime Sustainability
Global technical cooperation projects to implement and support energy efficiency in the shipping sector
- SESSION 3: The Maritime Data Value Chain
- Kris Vedat, Head of Information Technology, P&O Maritime Logistics 4:20 PM
Managing Data Acceleration
Optimising data usage & managing data assets
- Panel Discussion: The Smart Maritime Council - Changing Approaches to Data Sharing & Collaboration 4:45 PM
How standardisation and digitalisation is facilitating smart data sharing, enabling innovative and value-added services and creating value for the entire supply chain.
Moderated by: Rob O’Dwyer, Chief Network Officer, Smart Maritime Network
Rajesh Gopinathan, Director, Business Transformation, Seaspan Corporation
Christopher Kirton, Managing Director, International Tanker Management (V.Group)
Giampiero Soncini, CEO, IB Marine
- Conclusions, followed by the SMN Dubai Networking Reception 6:00 PM
Summary of conference proceedings followed by our post-event networking reception - kindly sponsored by Inmarsat.
MARITIME DIGITALISATION ADVISORS
International experts covering a range of maritime digitalisation technologies will be on hand at the Smart Maritime Network Dubai Conference, ready to discuss how your company can leverage its data to improve processes and drive efficiency in an increasingly connected market
Venue - Conrad Dubai
Address: Sheikh Zayed Road,
Trade Centre 1,
We have arranged a preferential rate for our delegates at our conference hotel. Please click here and use the Group Code GSMAE to receive the special discounted rate.
Please note: SMN takes no responsibility for any accommodation booking. If you have any questions please contact the venue directly.
Chief Technology Officer,
MPA (Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore)
Kenneth Lim is the Chief Technology Officer of the MPA, seconded from the Government Technology Agency (GovTech), where he held the role of Cluster Director of the Finance, National Development and Transport clusters. Mr Lim has previously also worked at PSA and CrimsonLogic before joining the public sector in 2011.
Chakib Abi Saab,
Chief Technology Officer,
OSM Maritime Group
Chakib Abi Saab joined OSM in 2017 as Program Director of New Technologies (NEXT) for the Technical Management department, becoming group CTO in July 2018. He has previously held technology leadership roles in North and South America, Asia and The Middle East with Baker Hughes Inc, and was global Chief Digital Officer for Bumi Armada Berhad.
Loh Sin Yong,
Director of Trade, Trade & Connectivity Cluster, IMDA
At IMDA Loh Sin Yong is responsible for supporting trade sectors (Wholesale Trade, Trade Finance, and Logistics) in using ICM technologies to enhance their competitiveness. He has more than 25 years of experience in Trade Facilitation, Logistics, and Maritime domains, working in the China, South East Asia and South Asia markets.
Dr Okan Duru,
Director, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering (Maritime Studies),
Nanyang Technological University
Dr. Duru is a scholar in the shipping business, forecasting and decision-making fields. Dr Duru completed his Ph.D. at the Graduate School of Maritime Sciences, Kobe University, with a dissertation titled 'Economic Analysis on the Long term assessment of Dry Bulk Shipping'.
Founder & Managing Director,
Ronny has spent more than a decade working in the maritime industry in Europe and Asia, in areas such as shipowning, chartering, and marine services, as well as startup companies and consulting services. He holds a Double Masters degree in International Business and International Management.
Dr. Annie Koh,
Vice President, Office of Business Development, Academic Director,
International Trading Institute
Dr Annie Koh is Academic Director for the International Trading Institute. Her previous portfolios at Singapore Management University included positions as Associate Dean, Lee Kong Chian School of Business and Dean, Office of Executive & Professional Education.
Vice President, Head of Processes, Systems & Competence,
Klaveness Asia Pte Ltd
Punit Oza has more than 26 years of experience in Dry Bulk Shipping, having begun his career with Precious Shipping. He has also worked with companies such as Noble Chartering, Astra Shipping and Aries Shipbroking, and has been with Torvald Klaveness since 2007.
Kenny Rogers left his role as head of Aurora Tankers 2019. He is a career shipping executive with over 30 years of experience in management roles at companies such as OMI Corp, Carnival Corporation, Seabulk International, SEACOR and privately held Asian company IMC, with particular expertise in the tanker sector.
Co-Founder and Chief Investment Officer,
Passionate about co-creating new ventures and innovating new business models with founders, owners and corporates. Laser focused on building for commercial profitability.
Proven areas of competencies include: infrastructure, venture capital, trade & trade finance, economic development
Click & Connect
Kris Kosmala is a Partner at Click & Connect, having previously worked as General Manager Asia Pacific at Quintiq. Kris has international experience across North and South America and Asia Pacific, using innovative technologies to improve shipping and logistics efficiency, improve net margin contributions from operations, and reduce environmental impact.
NLA International Ltd.
Supporting the growth and take-up of innovative technologies in the Blue Economy.
Specialities: Market research. Fundraising. Business Growth. Strategic communications. Consortium, stakeholder and community engagement. Utilising Big Data and technology for social impact. Policy development. Organisational development.
Andy Lane is an expert in the Containerised Transportation industry, with experience in Liner Shipping & Container Terminal Operations, specialising in the interface between these two areas. He has worked on process improvements, integrations and cost efficiency initiatives, often focusing on annual spends in excess of US$500 million.
Shipping Company VIP Pass
- Free conference registration for qualifying vessel operators (includes ship owners, ship managers, ship builders, ports & terminals, and other selected industry stakeholders - subject to confirmation by the organisers).
Conference Delegate Pass
- Delegate pass for admission to all conference sessions, and the evening Networking Party. (*Early Bird discount expired October 9, 2021. Discounts are available for multiple delegate bookings)