Maritime’s Connected Future – Digitalisation Driving a Sustainable and Integrated Industry
The very nature of how the maritime industry conducts itself has been gradually evolving - sometimes so slowly it is almost imperceptible, while sometimes it seems that sweeping changes have happened almost overnight. Digital adoption has taken a quantum leap at both the company and industry levels. We have reached a technology tipping point, and there is no going back.
Technology and “digitalisation” have come to mean so much more and has infiltrated every part of the shipping business - from transit time to trade; from containers to customs, from insurers to investors, from senior manager to seafarer. The companies that are taking full advantage of this evolution are the ones able to embrace and marry operational developments with a commercial outlook.
How has the new maritime digital era impacted operators, customers and providers alike and how must these companies align to ensure full transparency and efficiency. Indeed, Singapore represents a fantastic meeting of commerce, operators, and policy makers to ensure not only safety and efficiency but full competitive advantage as the industry continues to grow and evolve.
With all this in mind, Smart Maritime Network is thrilled to be heading back to the Lion City to continue our investigation into Maritime’s new digital era and the role technology plays in driving a sustainable and integrated sector. Join us there!
With an expert line up ready to share their knowledge and experience:
- Kenneth Lim, Assistant Chief Executive (Industry & Transformation), Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)
- Chung Ming Law, Executive Director, Transport and Logistics, Enterprise Singapore
- Sin Yong Loh, Director (Trade), Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA)
- Akanksha Batura Pai, Head of Strategy & Growth, Sinoda Shipping Agency Pte Ltd
- Ashima Taneja, Head of Maritime Safety, Sustainability and Technical, BHP
- Ashish Mediratta, Head of Crewing, Fleet Management & Technology, Maersk
- Ashwin Naik, Founder and CEO, Manah Wellness
- Axel Tan, Venture Partner, IMC Ventures
- Chakib Abi-Saab, Chief Technology & Innovation Officer, Lloyd’s Register
- Chris Insall, Head of Maritime Market Development, ST Engineering iDirect
- Claus Nehmzow, CEO, Binex
- Cynthia Mark Mohan, Assistant Vice President Head of Digitalisation, Jurong Port
- Eddy Lee, Partner, Bold2 Energize
- Captain Hari Subramaniam, Regional Head Business Relations, The Shipowners Club
- Himanshu Chopra, Managing Director, Anglo-Eastern Maritime Services (Singapore)
- James Ching, APAC Director, The Adecco Group
- James Ong, Head of M&A and Strategy, IMC Pan Asia Alliance
- Jamie Ramsamy, Chief Digital Officer, OSM Thome
- Jesselyn Lai, Head of Public Affairs, Southeast Asia and Oceania, A.P. Moller – Maersk
- Justin Yi, Regional Director APAC, Inmarsat Maritime
- Kay Ren Yuh, Assistant Director – TradeTrust, Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA)
- Kris Ang, Senior Deputy Director (Innovation, Technology and Talent Development), Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)
- Kristine Koh, Associate, Stephenson Harwood
- Marc Dragon, Managing Director, Reefknot Investments
- Nakul Malhotra, Vice President Emerging Opportunities Portfolio – Maritime Services, Wilhelmsen Group
- Niklas Holck, Founder & CEO, Tradeworks.vc
- Pernille Dahlgaard, Chief Officer Government, Business & Analytics, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller Center for Zero Carbon Shipping
- Peter Schellenberger, Director and Founder, Novamaxis Pte Ltd
- Dr Sanjay C Kuttan, Chief Technology Officer, Global Centre for Maritime Decarbonisation (GCMD)
- Shaun Hon, Founder & General Partner, Motion Ventures
- Soren Fosgerau Ostergaard, Head of Asia Pacific Hub operations, Head of Asia Pacific Equipment & EMR, Maersk
- SK Lim, Managing Director Pacific, G2 Ocean
- Su Yin Anand, Co-Founder, Captain’s Table
- Tan Kah Wai, Senior Associate (International Trade, Shipping & Sanctions Practice), LVM Law Chambers LLC
- Taylor Wamberg, Regional Maritime Commercial Markets Manager, SAMEA, Lloyd’s Register
Conference Agenda // 29 November 2023
- Registration and Refreshments 8:15 AM
- Cathy Hodge 9:00 AM
Introduction & Welcome from Smart Maritime Network
- Nakul Malhotra, Vice President Emerging Opportunities Portfolio - Maritime Services, Wilhelmsen Group 9:05 AM
Welcome to the day's events by our Conference Chair
- Panel Discussion: Cross Industry Collaboration on Open Data Standards 9:45 AM
Examining the benefits and barriers to introducing open data standards in the maritime sector, including a review of collaborative projects involving Smart Maritime Council members and wider industry stakeholders.
Moderated by: Rob O'Dwyer, Chief Network Officer, Smart Maritime Network
Jamie Ramsamy, Chief Digital Officer, OSM Thome
Peter Schellenberger, Director, Novamaxis
Himanshu Chopra, Managing Director, Anglo-Eastern Maritime Services
Chakib Abi-Saab, Chief Technology & Innovation Officer, Lloyd’s Register
- Tea/Coffee Break/Visit our Partner Zone 10:30 AM
- Panel Discussion: Driving Trade, Transformation & Resilience Through Technology & Collaboration 11:00 AM
Cultivating resilience through interoperability, the strategic use of data, and a commitment to industry standards.
• By capitalising on data-driven insights, incorporating predictive analytics, maintaining robust cybersecurity measures, and fostering cross-industry collaboration, the maritime sector can navigate a dynamic technological terrain, ensuring the well-being of crew, the security of vessels, the integrity of cargo, and the protection of the environment.
• The integration of technologies has yielded tangible benefits, including heightened operational efficiency, improved safety protocols, and a reduced environmental footprint.
• Digitalisation is integral to evolving international trade and supply chains and across trade finance processes.
Hosted by: Marc Dragon, Managing Director, Reefknot Investments
Chris Insall, Head of Maritime Market Development, ST Engineering iDirect
Chung Ming Law, Executive Director, Transport and Logistics, Enterprise Singapore
James Ong, Head of M&A and Strategy, IMC Pan Asia Alliance
Pernille Dahlgaard, Chief Officer Government, Business & Analytics, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller Center for Zero Carbon Shipping
- Electronic Bills of Lading – A Legal Analysis 11:40 AM
TradeTrust (TT), developed by Singapore's IMDA, has published a paper on transitioning from paper to electronic Bills of Lading. Prepared by Stephenson Harwood LLP in collaboration with Virtus Law LLP and Blank Rome LLP, the paper analyses the legal interoperability of eBLs issued through TradeTrust blockchain-based technology across jurisdictions. It compares traditional paper bills of lading with contract-based electronic BLs and addresses concerns about TT eBLs.
The adoption of the UNCITRAL Model Law on Electronic Transferable Records in jurisdictions like Singapore and Bahrain has paved the way for electronic transferable documents. The recent addition of the United Kingdom is significant, it is estimated that 80% of trade documents worldwide are based on English law. TT offers a free digital framework for electronic trade documents, enabling issuance, endorsement, verification, and transmission between parties across platforms. Unlike contract-based electronic BLs, TT eBLs are legally supported by statutory law hence can freely cross jurisdictions.
Sin Yong Loh, Director (Trade), Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) & Kristine Koh, Associate, Stephenson Harwood
Followed by a panel discussion investigating challenges of paper-based bills of lading and providing insights on the benefits of using TradeTrust.
Hosted by: Kay Ren Yuh, Assistant Director – TradeTrust, Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA)
Jesselyn Lai, Head of Public Affairs, Southeast Asia and Oceania, A.P. Moller – Maersk
Tan Kah Wai, Senior Associate (International Trade, Shipping & Sanctions Practice), LVM Law Chambers LLC
Kristine Koh, Associate, Stephenson Harwood
Sin Yong Loh, Director (Trade), Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA)
- Panel Discussion: Talent and Wellbeing - How To Drive Innovation by Prioritising & Developing Human Capital 12:20 PM
Exploring the value of leadership, purpose, diversity, and inclusivity
Hosted by: Akanksha Batura Pai, Head of Strategy & Growth, Sinoda Shipping Agency Pte Ltd
Ashish Mediratta, Head of Crewing, Fleet Management & Technology, Maersk
Ashwin Naik, Founder and CEO, Manah Wellness
Captain Hari Subramaniam, Regional Head Business Relations, The Shipowners Club
James Ching, APAC Director, The Adecco Group
Kris Ang, Senior Deputy Director (Innovation, Technology and Talent Development), Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)
- Lunch Break 1:00 PM
- Roundtable Discussion Groups – Hosted by our Partners 2:00 PM
Each table will focus on a unique topic centred around the Smart Maritime Network goal of establishing better collaboration and standardisation in maritime technology. The roundtable discussions will take place simultaneously with each table host then asked to summarise their discussions for the whole room, to ensure that all participants get the most from their attendance. There will be a total of 10 table discussions to choose from. Delegates are sent the list in advance and invited to choose the table they would most like to join The tables themselves will last for 30 minutes with 30 minutes for summaries.
- Tea/Coffee Break/Visit our Partners’ Zone 3:15 PM
- Kenneth Lim, Assistant Chief Executive (Industry & Transformation), Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) 3:45 PM
KEYNOTE ADDRESS: DATA DRIVEN MARITIME - A SINGAPORE PERSPECTIVE
Digitalisation efforts provided the maritime industry the opportunities to improve productivity, safety and even transformation in operations models. These efforts span across the maritime ecosystem, ranging from enterprises, clusters, industry, and government.
In this session, maritime Singapore data sharing initiatives and lessons learnt through these initiatives will be shared with participants.
- Panel Discussion: The Circular Economy and Green Shipping: Leveraging Technology for Sustainability and Decarbonisation 4:10 PM
Hosted by Claus Nehmzow, CEO, Binex
Ashima Taneja, Head of Maritime Safety, Sustainability and Technical, BHP
Dr Sanjay C Kuttan, Chief Technology Officer, Global Centre for Maritime Decarbonisation (GCMD)
Taylor Wamberg, Regional Maritime Commercial Markets Manager, SAMEA, Lloyd’s Register
- Dr Sanjay C Kuttan, Chief Technology Officer, Global Centre for Maritime Decarbonisation (GCMD) 4:50 PM
Bridging The Transparency Gap Between Digitalisation And Decarbonisation
- Panel Discussion: Maritime’s Digital Future: Financing and Optimising Investment in New Technologies 5:10 PM
Shipping’s long term future rests on the inclusion and advancement of new technologies in the maritime sector, and attracting investment is crucial for the adoption of these innovative technologies.
This session will consider:
• How are maritime-focused innovation hubs and accelerators helping drive the development of cutting-edge solutions?
• What is the role of new entrants to the market?
• How can start-ups understand the maritime industry – what are the opportunities for collaboration?
• Where is the funding coming from – and where is it going. What investments work while others fail?
• The business case for energy efficiency
Hosted by: Eddy Lee, Partner, Bold2 Energize
Axel Tan, Venture Partner, IMC Ventures
Cynthia Mark Mohan, Assistant Vice President Head of Digitalisation, Jurong Port
Shaun Hon, Founder & General Partner, Motion Ventures
Soren Fosgerau Ostergaard, Head of Asia Pacific Hub operations, Head of Asia Pacific Equipment & EMR, Maersk
Su Yin Anand, Co-Founder, Captain’s Table
- Closing Notes, followed by a Networking Reception, Kindly Hosted by Inmarsat 5:50 PM
MARITIME DIGITALISATION ADVISORS
International experts covering a range of maritime digitalisation technologies will be on hand at the Smart Maritime Network Singapore Conference, ready to discuss how your company can leverage its data to improve processes and drive efficiency in an increasingly connected market
Chief Technology Officer,
MPA (Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore)
Kenneth Lim is the Chief Technology Officer of the MPA, seconded from the Government Technology Agency (GovTech), where he held the role of Cluster Director of the Finance, National Development and Transport clusters. Mr Lim has previously also worked at PSA and CrimsonLogic before joining the public sector in 2011.
Chakib Abi Saab,
Chief Technology Officer,
OSM Maritime Group
Chakib Abi Saab joined OSM in 2017 as Program Director of New Technologies (NEXT) for the Technical Management department, becoming group CTO in July 2018. He has previously held technology leadership roles in North and South America, Asia and The Middle East with Baker Hughes Inc, and was global Chief Digital Officer for Bumi Armada Berhad.
Loh Sin Yong,
Director of Trade, Trade & Connectivity Cluster, IMDA
At IMDA Loh Sin Yong is responsible for supporting trade sectors (Wholesale Trade, Trade Finance, and Logistics) in using ICM technologies to enhance their competitiveness. He has more than 25 years of experience in Trade Facilitation, Logistics, and Maritime domains, working in the China, South East Asia and South Asia markets.
Dr Okan Duru,
Director, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering (Maritime Studies),
Nanyang Technological University
Dr. Duru is a scholar in the shipping business, forecasting and decision-making fields. Dr Duru completed his Ph.D. at the Graduate School of Maritime Sciences, Kobe University, with a dissertation titled 'Economic Analysis on the Long term assessment of Dry Bulk Shipping'.
Founder & Managing Director,
Ronny has spent more than a decade working in the maritime industry in Europe and Asia, in areas such as shipowning, chartering, and marine services, as well as startup companies and consulting services. He holds a Double Masters degree in International Business and International Management.
Dr. Annie Koh,
Vice President, Office of Business Development, Academic Director,
International Trading Institute
Dr Annie Koh is Academic Director for the International Trading Institute. Her previous portfolios at Singapore Management University included positions as Associate Dean, Lee Kong Chian School of Business and Dean, Office of Executive & Professional Education.
Vice President, Head of Processes, Systems & Competence,
Klaveness Asia Pte Ltd
Punit Oza has more than 26 years of experience in Dry Bulk Shipping, having begun his career with Precious Shipping. He has also worked with companies such as Noble Chartering, Astra Shipping and Aries Shipbroking, and has been with Torvald Klaveness since 2007.
Kenny Rogers left his role as head of Aurora Tankers 2019. He is a career shipping executive with over 30 years of experience in management roles at companies such as OMI Corp, Carnival Corporation, Seabulk International, SEACOR and privately held Asian company IMC, with particular expertise in the tanker sector.
Co-Founder and Chief Investment Officer,
Passionate about co-creating new ventures and innovating new business models with founders, owners and corporates. Laser focused on building for commercial profitability.
Proven areas of competencies include: infrastructure, venture capital, trade & trade finance, economic development
Click & Connect
Kris Kosmala is a Partner at Click & Connect, having previously worked as General Manager Asia Pacific at Quintiq. Kris has international experience across North and South America and Asia Pacific, using innovative technologies to improve shipping and logistics efficiency, improve net margin contributions from operations, and reduce environmental impact.
NLA International Ltd.
Supporting the growth and take-up of innovative technologies in the Blue Economy.
Specialities: Market research. Fundraising. Business Growth. Strategic communications. Consortium, stakeholder and community engagement. Utilising Big Data and technology for social impact. Policy development. Organisational development.
Andy Lane is an expert in the Containerised Transportation industry, with experience in Liner Shipping & Container Terminal Operations, specialising in the interface between these two areas. He has worked on process improvements, integrations and cost efficiency initiatives, often focusing on annual spends in excess of US$500 million.
Shipping Company VIP Pass
- Free conference registration for qualifying vessel operators (includes ship owners, ship managers, ship builders, ports & terminals, and other selected industry stakeholders - subject to confirmation by the organisers).
Conference Delegate Pass
- Delegate pass for admission to all conference sessions, and the evening Networking Party. (*Discounts are available for multiple delegate bookings)