Smart Maritime Network is returning to Greece on 30 March 2022 for the 3rd annual SMN ATHENS CONFERENCE.
Maritime innovation is at an all-time high and the speed of adoption of digital technologies has been accelerated by the situation over the past 24 months. Indeed, the very nature of the industry and the importance placed on transporting cargo by sea means there is more focus on shipping than ever before – and that includes investment.
Alongside this cargo focus is the need to move towards a more sustainable future – with shipping being challenged to decarbonise and harness technologies to create an even more efficient industry, which is reshaping maritime operations and investments in an unprecedented way.
So how does an historically volatile and unpredictable industry transform, especially in a time of uncertainty?
At SMN Athens we will delve into this question and look at how digitalisation is paving the way for a more efficient, more sustainable, and better-connected maritime supply chain. We will review how global trade is being influenced and transformed by new and emerging technologies and what the shipping sector must do to create a smoother supply chain and shape its own future.
There will be 4 core sessions during SMN Athens:
• The Role of Leadership & Policy Makers in Digital Transformation
• Leveraging Investment and Scaling Innovation
• Digitalisation Fuelling Global Trade
• The Future of Shipping - Technology and Sustainability
• Roundtable discussion forums
• Technology Display Zones, where our key partners will have the opportunity to showcase and demonstrate their products and services to conference attendees and explain how they are working towards a smarter, better connected future of shipping
• There will be a Networking Party at the end of the day, kindly sponsored by Inmarsat and co-hosted with AMMITEC, to further enable discussion and partnerships between all those attending.
For more information on this agenda, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
With an expert line up ready to share their knowledge and experience:
- Loris Francesco di Maio, Head of Operational Excellence, V.Group
- Dana Jongens, Business Development Manager, Inmarsat Maritime
- Katerina Raptaki, Digital Transformation, Cyber Security and e-Governance specialist, Navios Group of Companies, Member of the BoD, AMMITEC
- Costas Troulos, Senior Advisor, Innovation Dept, SEV – Hellenic Federation of Enterprises
- Danae Bezantakou, CEO, Navigator Shipping Consultants & Secretary General, International Propeller Club (Port of Piraeus)
- Nikolas Pyrgiotis, VP of Technology Ventures, The Signal Group
- Konstantinos Sakellakos, IT Manager, Navarone
- Matthew Maheras, CIO, Metrostar Management Corp
- Anastasia Papadopoulou, Co-Founder, Blue Alliance Partners
- Theodore Kourmpelis, Client Relationship Manager, Marine & Offshore, Lloyd’s Register
- Peter McNamee, Managing Associate, Ince
- Themistoklis Sardis, Head of IT, Costamare Shipping
- Kostas Grivas, Information Security Officer, Angelicoussis Group
- Jose Milhazes, Business Process Innovation Manager, GasLog Ltd.
- Angelica Kemene, Founder & CEO, Optima-X Enso XL
- Nir Gartzman, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, theDOCK
- Angelos Amditis, Research Director at ICCS, Chairman of ERTICO
- Gregory Spourdalakis, General Manager, CSM Greece
- Manos Papadakis, Standards Executive, GS1 Association
- Benjamin Vernooij, Manager OEM EMEA Sales Engineering, Dell Technologies
- Jon Key, Chief Strategy and Transformation Officer, Key and Co
- Stavros Kokkinis, COO, Harbor Lab
- Anders Wendel, Head, Navelink
- Mark Sutcliffe Managing Director, CSO Alliance
- Mike Powell, Founder/Director, Cardinal Point Marine
- Rob O’Dwyer, Chief Network Officer, Smart Maritime Network
Conference Health & Safety Measures
To safeguard the health and safety of all attendees at the Smart Maritime Network Athens Conference the following measures and guidelines are being adopted
Now that we are all slowly emerging from the restrictions necessitated by the recent COVID-19 crisis, SMN is very pleased to be returning to hosting our series of conferences to facilitate safe and conscientious in-person meetings with our partners and industry peers. To safeguard the wellbeing of all of our attendees, we will be strictly following the guidelines of the local health authorities in our host countries, as well as adopting best practices recommended by major business conference and event organiser associations, such as PCMA, UFI and AEO.*
We are also working very closely with our venue, Ble Pavillon, and suppliers to ensure the measures in place during SMN Athens will provide a safe, pleasant and productive experience for all our guests. Please be advised that guidelines and restrictions are subject to change, even at short notice, and we urge our delegates to check this page regularly.
On-site & Social Distancing:
- We are using a large space for the conference itself. Conference seating will be at round tables, with seats spaced out at measured intervals to adhere to any social distancing requirements.
- We will have designated washrooms, catering areas and any other facilities – to ensure these are limited to our guests and event staff only
- Before and throughout the conference the venue will follow strict sanitisation and cleaning protocols – this includes sanitising all microphones and providing sanitising gel for speakers to use prior to taking the stage.
- We will strictly follow additional on-site audience hygiene guidelines, such as the provision of hand sanitisation stations throughout the venue for your convenience.
- We recommend contact-less business contact exchange via QR codes such as available on Linkedin, to remove the need for physical business cards to be exchanged.
- Attendees are also encouraged to avail of contactless smartphone sharing technologies like Bluetooth to exchange information.
- We will be asking our Sponsors and Partners to limit the amount of physical materials they distribute on-site and instead provide informational resources via a designated downloads section on our website. Sponsors may also send materials to those who request them post-event.
Pre-Event and Arrival:
- Only fully vaccinated guests may join SMN Athens. Guests will be sent a mandatory pre-event form to fill in confirming their status. Anyone who does not return this will not be permitted to join SMN Athens
- We will be encouraging and reminding all delegates of the importance of adhering to recommended personal hygiene etiquette, such as washing and disinfecting hands regularly, and wearing facemasks where appropriate.
- Participants will be asked to wear a face mask on entry, if appropriate, in line with local government and health authority advice.
- We will be asking any delegates with any symptoms of illness to refrain from attending the conference.
Trace & Contact:
- It is our policy to ensure that we have full contact details of all guests who attend the event, enabling us to work with local authorities on trace & contact follow-up should that be necessary.
If you would like to discuss any of these measures, or have any questions, please contact:
Cathy Hodge, COO, Smart Maritime Network
*For more information on these guidelines please visit
Conference Agenda // 30 March 2022
- Session 1: The Role of Leadership & Policy Makers in Digital Transformation
- Dana Jongens, Business Development Manager, Inmarsat Maritime 0930
The Communications Network of the Future: Enabling the Next Generation of Ships
- Panel Discussion: The Role of Leaders and Policy Makers in Digital Transformation 0955
• How the pandemic has shifted approaches to digitalisation
• Building a coherent and comprehensive approach to digital transformation
• The importance of purpose in a digital transformation strategy
Hosted by: Rob O’Dwyer, Chief Network Officer, Smart Maritime Network
Angelica Kemene, Founder & CEO, Optima-X Enso XL
Jon Key, Chief Strategy and Transformation Officer, Key and Co
Danae Bezantakou, CEO, Navigator Shipping Consultants & Secretary General, International Propeller Club (Port of Piraeus)
Gregory Spourdalakis, General Manager, CSM Greece
- Session 2: Investment in Innovation and Digital Transformation
- Panel Discussion: Leveraging Investment to Power Digitalisation and Innovation in Shipping 1115
• Recent trends in maritime investing: what has spurred the growth and how will it evolve?
• Unlocking business value through startup-driven innovation: what is the role of VC?
• Innovation ecosystems: their importance and how do you shape them
Hosted by: Nikolas Pyrgiotis, VP of Technology Ventures, The Signal Group
Nir Gartzman, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, theDOCK
Costas Troulos, Senior Advisor, Innovation Dept, SEV – Hellenic Federation of Enterprises
Anastasia Papadopoulou, Co-Founder, Blue Alliance Partners
Stavros Kokkinis, COO, Harbor Lab
- Panel Discussion: Reviewing Cyber Security – Threats, Responses and Reporting 1215
Hosted by: Mark Sutcliffe Managing Director, CSO Alliance
Digital Transformation, Cyber Security and e-Governance specialist, Navios Group of Companies, Member of the BoD, AMMITEC
Konstantinos Sakellakos, IT Manager, Navarone
Matthew Maheras, CIO, Metrostar Management Corp
Kostas Grivas, Information Security Officer, Angelicoussis Group
- Roundtable Discussion Groups – Hosted by our Partners 1415
Each table will focus on a unique topic centred around the Smart Maritime Network goal of establishing better collaboration and standardisation in maritime technology. The roundtable discussions will take place simultaneously with each table host then asked to summarise their discussions for the whole room, to ensure that all participants get the most from their attendance. There will be a total of 10 table discussions to choose from. Delegates are sent the list in advance and invited to choose the table they would most like to join The tables themselves will last for 30 minutes with 30 minutes for summaries.
- Coffee Break - Technology Display Zone 1530
- Session 3: Digitalisation Fuelling Global Trade
- Panel Discussion: Digitalisation Fuelling the Global Trade Ecosystem 1600
· Exploring the technical, legal, and regulatory frameworks needed to break the siloes between the global supply chain and financial institutions
· Collaboration to harness digital solutions - such as electronic Bills of Lading and other supply chain data for global trade efficiency
· How has the pandemic impacted the digital transformation of global trade, and how the use of blockchain can help ease logjams
Hosted by: Mike Powell, Founder/Director, Cardinal Point Marine Ltd
Themistoklis Sardis, Head of IT, Costamare Shipping
Manos Papadakis, Standards Executive, GS1 Association
Peter McNamee, Managing Associate, Ince
- Session 4: Sustainability and the Future of Shipping
- Panel Discussion: The Future of Shipping – Collaboration, Technology and Sustainability 1650
· How can collaboration fuel a more sustainable maritime sector?
· What role does technology have in the race towards decarbonisation?
· Discussing smart and sustainable solutions
Hosted by: Angelos Amditis, Research Director at ICCS, Chairman of ERTICO
Jose Milhazes, Business Process Innovation Manager, GasLog Ltd.
Anders Wendel, Head, Navelink
Benjamin Vernooij, Manager OEM EMEA Sales Engineering, Dell Technologies
Theodore Kourmpelis, Client Relationship Manager, Marine & Offshore, Lloyd’s Register
- Inmarsat Ferry Open Innovation Challenge 1740
In January 2022, Inmarsat joined forces with the largest Passenger Shipping Group in Greece, Attica Group, and digital consultancy, Thetius, to launch the ‘Inmarsat Ferry Open Innovation Challenge: crew training and entertainment’. Focusing on the needs of ferry crews, the competition invited start-ups and SMEs to put forward digital solutions to enhance the training or enrich the leisure hours of personnel. The winner of the Open Innovation Challenge will be announced at the Smart Maritime Network Athens.
- Conclusions, followed by the SMN Athens Oceanside Party 1755
Summary of conference followed by the SMN Athens Oceanside Party - kindly sponsored by Inmarsat and co-hosted by AMMITEC
Adam Banks, Chief Technology and Information Officer, A.P. Møller-Maersk
Mr Banks joined Maersk in 2015, and was recently appointed CTIO for A.P. Møller-Maersk. He brings with him over two decades of IT experience, most notably as Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and EVP for Technology in Monitise Plc, and CTO and CIO for Visa Europe.
Franck Kayser, Group Managing Director, V.Group
Franck Kayser started his maritime career as a cadet with Maersk in 1982, before joining the Danish Royal Navy. Over the course of more than 25 years in the industry he has worked for a host of major shipowners, including Maersk, CMA CGM, UASC and Nile Dutch Africa Line.
Ronald Spithout, President, Inmarsat Maritime
Ronald Spithout is President, Inmarsat Maritime, appointed in October 2014 to oversee global maritime activities for the satellite operator. Prior to joining the maritime business unit he served as President of Inmarsat Enterprise.
Palemia Field, Global Marketing Comms Manager, Digital, ABB
Palemia Field manages ABB's communications processes with internal & external stakeholders, with respect to Digital Solutions and Services for the Marine & Ports industry.
Joost van Ree, Director Partner Relations, CLIA
Joost van Ree is Director of Partner Relations for the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the world’s largest cruise industry trade association. CLIA supports safe, secure, and sustainable development in the cruise sector.
Katerina Raptaki, ICT Manager, Navios Group of Companies
Katerina Raptaki is the ICT Manager of the Navios Group of companies, including 4 NYSE-listed companies, owning and managing more than 200 vessels. Katerina is also the former president of AMMITEC.
Richard Morton, Secretary General, IPCSA
Richard Morton was appointed as Secretary General of the European Port Community Systems Association in 2011, renamed as the International Port Community Systems Association (IPCSA) in 2014.
John Murphy, CEO, 8 West Consulting
John Murphy is CEO of 8 West Consulting, the company behind SafeTrx, a tracking and alerting system thatoperates with a collaborative network of technology partners, maritime operators, SAR first responders, Coast Guard and Police organisations around the world.
Rob O'Dwyer, Chief Network Officer, Smart Maritime Network
Rob O'Dwyer is one of the founders of the Smart Maritime Network, launched in 2019 to promote the benefits of enhanced integration and data sharing among stakeholders within the maritime and transport logistics sectors.
MARITIME DIGITALISATION ADVISORS
International experts covering a range of maritime digitalisation technologies will be on hand at the Smart Maritime Network Athens Conference, ready to discuss how your company can leverage its data to improve processes and drive efficiency in an increasingly connected market
SMN has arranged a special rate for our delegates and partners attending our Athens conference:
– €185 per room/per night (single superior room) + €4.00 tax/night, American breakfast buffet included.
– €205 per room/night (double superior room) + €4.00 tax/night, American breakfast buffet included.
To book please contact:
and quote ‘Smart Maritime Network Conference 19/20 October 2020’
All rooms subject to availability.
Located just opposite the Divani Apollon, SMN has also arranged a special rate for our delegates and partners at the Amarilia Hotel:
Dates: 19-21 October 2020 (2 nights)
– €100 Double/Twin for Single use (run of house)
– €110 Double/Twin (run of house)
Quoted rates are per night, per room, including American buffet breakfast and taxes. Should taxes change, the hotel has the right to adjust rates accordingly.
Note that quoted rates do not include the tax accommodation fee of €3 per room per night.
Complimentary Wi-Fi in all rooms, common areas and meeting halls.
Check in after 15:00 / Check out till 11:00.
T: +30 210 8990391/+30 210 8990392
Please quote “Smart Maritime Network”
All rooms subject to availability.
**Please note, in compliance with Greek law attendance at this event is permitted for fully vaccinated individuals only. If you are not fully vaccinated against Covid-19 do not continue with registration - vaccination status will be checked at the venue and you will be denied entry if not in compliance.**
Shipping Company VIP Pass
- Free conference registration for qualifying vessel operators (includes ship owners, ship managers, ship builders, ports & terminals, and selected stakeholders - subject to confirmation by the organisers). FULLY VACCINATED DELEGATES ONLY.
Conference Delegate Pass
- Delegate pass for admission to all conference sessions, and the evening Networking Party. Early-bird discount price expired 23 February, 2022 (*Further Discounts are available for multiple delegate bookings). FULLY VACCINATED DELEGATES ONLY.