Iridium to expand positioning capabilities with Satelles acquisition

Satellite operator Iridium has entered into an agreement to acquire Satelles, a provider of satellite-based time and location services that complement GPS and other GNSS-reliant systems.

A long-standing investor in Satelles, Iridium had an ownership stake of around 20% from three previous investments in the company. For the remaining approximately 80%, Iridium will pay about $115 million, net of cash remaining in the company.

Satellite Time and Location (STL) systems are used to increase the efficiency and reliability of timing systems and protect against GNSS vulnerabilities using hardware that doesn’t require outdoor antennas.

Iridium says it will now work to reduce the size and cost barriers to adoption of the technology, enabling deployment of a more accessible system for integration with technology used in markets including maritime, aviation, and land mobile.

The move will also provide Iridium’s existing partner eco-system an opportunity to add the service to their portfolio and harden their GNSS-reliant products and infrastructure.

“This market is growing; it’s a perfect application of our network, and this solution solves a problem for critical industries better than anything else,” said Iridium CEO, Matt Desch.

“Acquiring Satelles makes perfect sense for Iridium and is consistent with what our strategy has always been, which is to take advantage of our unique network to do what others can’t or do it better than anyone else can.”

“STL is the superior solution available today, and we have been following and investing in Satelles’s technology roadmap to allow us to create even more opportunity. We’re excited to formally bring the Satelles team ‘in-house’, to the Iridium family.”

STL will become a new business line of Iridium, led by Satelles CEO, Dr Michael O’Connor.

Share this story

About the Author

Picture of Rob O'Dwyer
Rob O'Dwyer

Rob is Chief Network Officer and one of the founders of Smart Maritime Network. He also serves as Chairman of the Smart Maritime Council. Rob has worked in the maritime technology sector since 2005, managing editorial for a range of leading publications in the transport and logistics sector. Get in touch by email by clicking here, or on LinkedIn by clicking here.

Further Reading

News Archive